Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Island Voices


Quotes


Paper


1. "Timbered ceiling and panelled walls and sunken circular sitting-room which was to be carpeted in rich amber." (pg 2)


2. "See what's happening to my husband.He's cracking up!He talks to himself, he doesn't eat, he has nightmares, he beats the children.Oh, he's finished!" (pg 7)


The Martyrdom of Helena Rodrigues


1. "She was the mistress in the use of Christian martyrdom on the domestic front." (pg 10)


2. "Georgie is such a good boy." (pg 17)


Sundowner


1. "No doctor, Tuan, bur the biban says Tijah is alright." (pg 23)


2. "But that's a way of life with them.It's always been that way..." (pg 25)


Tanjong Rhu


1. "I am not, Ah-Wah, having my eyes sliced open." (pg 30)


2. "Those see-far glasses of yous, can they see Tanjong Rhu?" (pg 31)


Evening Under Frangipani


1. "I don't suppose you have much in the way of soup at home." (pg 59)


2. "I'm so glad you've converted to Christianity." (pg 59)


Lee


1. "Are you my dad?" (pg 85)


2. "Don't you remember anything about your country?" (pg 86)


A History of Tea


1. "What's the matter, Chinese not good enough for you?" (pg 109)


2. "Very difficult for travellers I hear, terrible food, expensive." (pg 112)


A Dream of China


1. "The Chinese are as bad as the Jews when it comes to making money!" (pg 127)


2. "There's no poing discussing the past." (pg 129)


Release


1. "I'm not going to pay for her." (pg 139)


2. "Now, don't worry any more.I understand.I'll take care of it.Just leave it to me." (pg 147)


An Obituary for Fifth Aunt Come


1. "She was my aunt but I didn't make it a point to be her niece." (pg 149)


2. "Oh, it's you." (pg 154)


Corridor


1. "Who said I'm not happy?" (pg 164)


2. "Okay.Just for tonight." (pg 165)


Mid-Autumn


1. "But like that waste money, very gek sim." (pg 176)


2. "Tomorrow we'll go to the bank and open a separate bank account for you." (pg 185)


Hamid and the Hand of Fate


1. "No, no, every child is rezeki from the God, no matter what his condition is." (pg 195)


2. "He won't know what to do with a girl." (pg 195)


The Move


1. "They have to be retired! I've sat on them since I was a baby!" (pg 204)


2. "Ah So! You are finally moving!" (pg 209)


Pastime


1. "This is just a story, you understand?" (pg 213)


2. "Two years pass.He thinks he could forget everything and get used to his new life." (pg 215)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home